To thoroughly enjoy Garry's Mod, one can start by immediately heading over to the Options. The reason is that Garry's Mod detects proper options, but does not compensate for lag-spikes. To avoid this, simply set two or more recommended settings to one setting lower than the suggested, as shown by *.
Another way to enjoy Garry's Mod is to decide how and what you are going to play. There are plenty of gamemodes to choose from, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Trouble in Terrorist Town (A popular detective gamemode)
- Murder (A game of trust)
- Prop Hunt (Hide and seek)
- Traditional Sandbox (for Building)
- Basic Team Deathmatch (A generic take on modern first-person-shooters)
- Garry's Mod Racer (Recommended for use with the "SCARS SLIM" and "SCARS EXTRA" Addons)
- Roleplay ("Rp") (More or less a simulation of videogame life)
- Sled Build (Build sleds then race)
Another way to enjoy the game, is to simply look up a "Garry's Mod Let's Play" on YouTube. These can trigger ideas and elaborate on how Garry's Mod can become fun in various gamemodes.